I decided to make my own counter for my laundry room . I started with 2"x3"x8' boards of knotty pine.
The other options I considered were a pre made Ikea butcher block for $249.00 which is beautiful and that I love but I wanted to spend less . Second option was laminate which would have been around $100.00 for an 8 ft length. Obviously stone of metal for a lot more...I wanted an affordable option and a good fresh DIY option.Creating my own counter allowed me to make the exact size I wanted which turns out to be 2" deeper than standard counter options.
 Carpenters glue and bar clamps over night.
The next morning I had a roughly constructed board. 
I used a belt sander to smooth the surface and then the bottom. I wanted to make sure it would sit nicely onto the cabinets I was building. 

 I got a beautiful smooth finish after lots of sanding.
 I pulled out a router that had been never used but was at least 12 years old. I got a roman ogee bit and tried routering....it turned out just as I hoped, not perfect but sure pretty. Then I cut a hole for my sink and routered that also.
 I stained it with oil stain, Varathane kona , three coats and I achieved a rich dark finish...this picture I took after two coats .

 This is the third coat of stain no top coat. Then I used Varathane floor sealer and did three coats of that in satin.
 I bought a sink off of Kijiji for $50.00 never used. It is a self rimming sink but I really wanted an undermount  
so I did a little research and went for it . I was told to use just silicone...so far so good , I used pressure just like the professionals do , I'm sure! bricks and a paint can of course.
I let it set for 24 hours and then added a couple of pieces of wood just as a little extra support, no pic of that sorry.
I am so happy with the final result , and it cost a whopping $135.00 including the sink....

I installed the faucet yesterday after drilling a hole , that takes a while through 2" of counter and that is with soft wood , I can only imagine drilling that hole through oak....

I just need to get the cabinets up and into place and have my plumber back in to make it all work.
I am thinking before I do that I want to add under cabinet lighting , I don't like it for kitchens , just not for me but I think it might be great in the laundry room for night since we use that room for the doggies....we will see.
 So what do you think , was it a good idea to build a counter ? would you try this project? It was about a 7 out of 10 on a difficulty scale I would say.
 
Top